A Career in the Developmental Services
People working in Ontario’s Developmental Services sector seek to provide a high quality of service and support to people with developmental disabilities. Their work strives to promote and facilitate community inclusion, meaningful participation and full citizenship. There are many different roles and employment opportunities for working in this sector.
Here is what Ontario’s Developmental Services can offer you:
- variety of work schedules
- competitive benefits and salary
- training and development opportunities to further your skill set
- diverse roles and jobs
- personal reward and satisfaction
- work that involves a team
- opportunities for recent graduates as well as people looking for a second career
We are looking for people who:
- see the possibilities in others and can support them to reach their full potential
- are looking for a career where they can make a difference
- are flexible
- enjoy working as a team
- have a desire to advocate for others and impact their community
See more about the personal satisfaction and rewards this career can offer you:
- Developmental Services Careers Video
- Giving and Receiving in Developmental Services Careers
- Developmental Services Career Opportunity
Although a passionate spirit, a caring heart and optimistic attitude are an asset, a career in the developmental services sector also requires training.
In-service training is provided by organizations within the sector. There are also university and college programs in Ontario that offer specialized college and university degrees that will equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to ensure a long and successful career.
Some related post-secondary programs include:
- Developmental Services Worker diploma (DSW)
- Social Service Worker diploma (SSW)
- Developmental Disabilities Counsellor Certificate
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Behavioural Science Technician diploma
- Bachelor of Social Work
Contact your local agency to discuss their specific hiring requirements.
Watch the video to see how someone working in developmental services helped John find his voice.
Watch the video to see how Shannon got involved in the community thanks to someone working in developmental services.